A baby shower is great fun and a big part of the process of preparing for and celebrating the arrival of your baby. Usually, it will be a friend who organizes it for you, so she may need your help in preparing and managing costs.
At a time when perhaps you are watching your budget, you may want to keep tabs on spending for a baby shower. It is said that average costs are between $300.00 – $1000.00 though some will spend more for this big event, but you don’t need to in order to make it a special occasion.
A baby shower will generally include food, decorations and games but there is no reason for this to be expensive. A few well-chosen decorations, tasty snacks and games can mean the difference between a mediocre few hours or an event that you and your friends will remember and possibly emulate
Top Ten Tips for a Great Baby Shower on a Budget
- Give some thought to a theme for the baby shower. This will make your buying options a lot simpler. For instance you can look for out of season Easter themed items that will be on sale at considerably less cost than during Easter time. Look for banners, posters and things you can hang in the room as well as items you can place on table tops. Seek to color coordinate as well as keeping to your theme. You may be surprised what you can find on EBay, Dollar Stores, yard sales or thrift stores, so go out on a planned adventure to find some fabulous and low cost items.
- Don’t put yourself through the stress of providing a full meal for your guests as this is generally not expected and, with a wide variety of food tastes, food allergies etc, this can be a minefield to navigate. It is always advisable to select items that are nut free and, if possible, gluten free. The best thing, in our opinion, is to make some of your own items. There are some delicious. Healthy recipes that include lush chocolate delights, scrumptious cookies and cakes.
Maybe choose your baby shower time for mid-morning or late afternoon when attendees are less likely to expect a full meal but will be happy with snacks. Feature your snacks around your chosen theme so if you did purchase Easter type items, you can do small veggie options, bite-sized healthy items with a little cupcake decadence to add some luxury.
- Make your baby shower so that everyone brings one item as a contribution. Stick to the same parameters for food i.e. nut free snacks. To save having 1000 cupcakes, do agree beforehand with guests as to what they will be bringing and in what quantities. You could also ask them to bring an item to help with the décor. People do like to be involved and enjoy doing their bit towards an event, so they won’t mind if you ask them to help.
- Borrow items if your friends have anything appropriate. This will save a lot of money but means that you can enhance whatever items you have already purchased
- Check out prices, do try searching in the dollar shops as it is surprising what you can pick up that will look good when arranged around the room/house. We get into the habit of NEVER buying anything for full price if we can help it. It is always worth asking in the store if they will offer a discount if you purchase more than one of the same item or spend a certain amount.
- Use coupons – save up your coupons or buy from stores that have cashback options. This can save a lot of money over time
- Recycle decorations – put your used items away in safe place to being out for the next baby shower. This will save a massive amount of money as well as shave hours off your planning.
- Don’t go to the expense of hiring a room unless you absolutely have to or want to. Depending on the number of guests, it is easy to set up a room or theme the downstairs part of your house. You are more comfortable in your own home so why not share these moments with your friends in the comfort of your own home.
- Make what you can, or enlist friends to help you make items. If you don’t think you have a craft bone in your body, enlist the help of a friend who may have more creative tendencies. You can also search Pinterest; there are a plethora of baby shower pages to choose from. You may well end up with too many ideas to choose from but you will be able to create some great items for your baby shower
- Professional entertainment – you don’t need it. A bunch of ladies together can soon find fun in being with each other and you can come up with a few fun games to get people together and having fun. Whatever you do, don’t hire a clown as many people have weird issues about clowns. I don’t like them and would hate a baby shower that had one. Again, confer with your friends and you will come up with some great ideas for entertainment.There are lots of games for baby showers that you can find on the Internet. When I have finished this article, I will go and find some for you to make your job a little easier.
The main thing for your baby shower is that it should be fun, something to remember as a happy memory, not an event that ended up being hard work, expensive and stressful. Keep it simple and have lots of fun.
The Top 20 Best Baby Games
Stop worrying about how to come up with interesting and fun games for your baby shower and read this great article that features 20 of the most popular baby shower games that are guaranteed to get that party going, generate the laughter, relax your guests and create a baby shower that stands out way above the others.