Learn how to Exercise With your Newborn Baby
Although your newborn has little control of his muscles, he still enjoys the feeling of his limbs flexing, extending, twisting and moving through space. At the early age of one month, you can begin exercising with your newborn. Below, you’ll find some exercises for your newborn and you to try together.
Suggested Exercises: 1 to 4 Months
- Lay the baby on his back on the floor. Wrap your baby’s hand around your forefinger; hold in place with your thumb and third finger.
- Stretch out baby’s arm by gently drawing his hand toward you. Do not pull baby up off the floor. Return to the starting position.
- Hold both the baby’s hands in the “Grip” position (see previous exercise).
- Spread baby’s arms out to the sides, bring them in across his chest, and spread them out again.
- Do this exercise slowly and gently, repeating the movement 5 times.